Last Updated on
My Work Performing as a Pianist and as a Jazz Bands in Essex
My name is Eugene Portman and I work more as a wedding pianist in Essex than any other county. Furthermore, I almost feel as if it is a second home.
When I first started playing the piano in the Essex area, I was only hired as a soloist. Since then, I have found that duos and large line-ups have become more and more popular. In fact, there is a huge demand for jazz bands in the county for all types of events. I am capable of catering for most demands as I can provide anything from a duo right up to a five-piece band. I use some first-rate musicians and I hope that this shows in the quality of the music. Please contact us for help with the best type of line up for your event.
Weddings and Events
The biggest part of my work in the Essex area is as a wedding pianist. However, I can also provide music for other types of events. These include parties, corporate events, music festivals, and store openings. I also play the piano for quite a few outdoor events and I can erect my own gazebo for cover. I can even use my piano without a mains electricity supply if needed.
Essex has a very healthy jazz scene and over the years this has been a source of work for me as a pianist. I specialise in the great jazz standards and jazz songs. Songs made famous by the likes of Frank Sinatra, The Rat Pack, Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, and Fred Astaire. My piano style has developed by listening to the great jazz pianists of the past. These include Erroll Garner, Oscar Peterson, George Shearing, and Monty Alexander.
Whether I perform as a soloist or a band, I try to give the music a feel-good quality. I try and make the music sit comfortably in any social situation. Furthermore, I hope my music will add sparkle to your event without drowning conversation.
Essex Venues Where I’ve Performed
- Essex County Hotel, Aviation Way, Southend SS2 6UN. I always have to take my digital piano to this venue as it doesn’t have a piano.
- Blake Hall, Ongar, Essex. CM5 0DG. Blake hall has a lovely old barn that is available for weddings. I always have to take a digital piano to this venue as they don’t have a piano of their own.
- Fennes Estate, Bocking, Braintree, Essex. CM7 5PL. To my knowledge this venue doesn’t have a piano. I always have to take my own instrument when I’m booked at Fennes Estate.
- Gosfield Hall, Gosfield, Essex CO9 1SF. They have a piano in the Grand Salon, but I usually end up playing in another part of the building. A lot of weddings book a pianist at this particular venue.
- Greenwoods Hotel, Stock Road, Stock, Essex CM4 9BE –
- Leez Priory, Hartford End, Great Leighs, Chelmsford CM3 1JP
- Orsett Hall, Prince Charles Avenue, Orsett RM16 3HS
- Prested Hall, Prested Hall Chase, Feering, Colchester, Essex CO5 9EE. I am lucky enough to be the only pianist on this venue’s recommended suppliers list. I always enjoy playing the piano here, especially the outdoor wedding ceremonies
- Stock Brook Country Club, Queen’s Park Avenue, Stock, Nr Billericay, Essex CM12 OSP. I’ve performed at this venue a few times and I can confirm that they do have a nice piano.
Please visit my HOME PAGE HERE
Please explore this site by clicking the links on the left of this page.