Performing as a Pianist and Jazz Band in Surrey
I suppose the reason that I am booked so often as a pianist in Surrey is the fact that I used to live there. I have, at one time or another, played in many of Surrey’s great venues and have performed in many of its towns and cities. These include: Guildford, Croydon, Woking, Sutton and Kingston on Thames. A lot of my work consists of just me as a solo jazz pianist, but I can also provide other line-ups ranging from a duo (piano and bass or piano and vocals) right up to a five piece jazz band.
Weddings and Events
Surrey is very popular for weddings and it is as a wedding pianist that I am most frequently hired. The jazz band line-up is also very much in demand for couples looking for a larger line-up. Besides performing as a wedding pianist, I also have to provide music for parties and corporate entertainment for business events. Due to the large number of venues, Surrey based pianists are in great demand and I perform in this county more than any other.
My favourite type of music is jazz and swing which is a genre I have always loved from being very young. Sometimes the word ‘jazz’ can put people off, but the music I play and my band plays isn’t ultra-modern. Above all I try and make my music entertaining, and I always tries to keep it at a volume that people can hold a conversation comfortably. My influences are pianists like Oscar Peterson, Monty Alexander, George Shearing, Erroll Garner and Dudley Moore – rather than being influenced by the more modern avant garde musicians. Inobtrusive is my keyword, but I can turn up the gas if you are looking for something more lively. I hope that my music will add sparkle to your event, without drowning conversation.
Besides jazz, I also play music from many other genres including pop, latin, rock, classical and even sing-along. An important thing to remember is that I am always willing to learn any requests that you may have.
Another trend has been the demand for the old fashioned singalong pianist. I can organise an old fashioned sing-along and can provide all the song sheets . All you have to do is provide some hearty voices and some enthusiasm. I often organises these singalongs for Cockney themed evenings, where I dress up as a typical Cockney pianist complete with bowler hat, grandad shirt, waistcoat, red neckerchief etc. Please see This Page for more information about this.
Here are some of the Surrey venues that have used my services as a pianist:
- The Barn at Bury Court – Bentley, Farnham – A beautiful venue tucked away in the Surrey countryside and just a stone’s throw away from Farnham.
- Denbies Vineyard – London Road, Dorking, Surrey – There is a treat waiting for any pianist being hired to play here as Denbies have a lovely Yamaha grand piano in the Garden Room. This is a venue that I play at quite frequently and I’m always treated really well by the staff.
- Branksome Place – Hindhead Road, Haslemere – A very popular venue for weddings and other types of evnets.
- Farnham Castle Conference Centre – Farnham, Surrey GU9 0AG – They have a piano in one room and I did play it on one occasion. It is a big venue with many rooms and a pianist would probably need their own digital piano if they played there.
- St Georges Church – Esher Park Avenue, Esher, Surrey – This is Esher’s oldest building and is used for weddings and other events. There is a grand piano which was in good condition on the last occasion I played there. St. Georges is a lovely Tudor building and is used as an arts centre and meeting venue.
- Nonsuch Mansion – Nonsuch Park, Ewell Road, Cheam, Sutton- A lovely historic venue with beautiful grounds. It is very popular for weddings and other kinds of events. It is also used for recitals and outdoor concerts.
- Russets Country House – Petworth Road, Chiddingfold – This is a lovely venue and they have a nice Daneman Grand piano on site. The instrument is ideally situated for both wedding ceremonies and drinks receptions.
- Loseley Park – Compton, Nr Guildford, Surrey – There is a grand piano in the main house which is used for wedding ceremonies. The Tith Barn is is situated just a short walk away from the main house and is usually used for drinks receptions and wedding breakfasts. The Tihe barn does not have a piano so you would need a digital one or hire a piano if you are wisshing to book a pianist.
- Sandhurst Military Academy – Sandhurst, Camberley – A spectacular venue, but I don’t think that it can be hired by just anyone. I think that you would have to be a serving officer to use it’s facilities.
- Stanhill Court Hotel – Stanhill Road, Charlwood, Horley – I have played for quite a few weddings here and I have enjoyed every one of them.
Please visit Eugene’s HOME PAGE HERE
Please explore this site by clicking the links on the left of this page.
Available as a jazz pianist/wedding pianist in Surrey, Guildford, Croydon, Woking, Sutton or Kingston on Thames.
Other Surrey towns where I perform as a pianist: Redhill, Reigate, Horley, Crawley, Dorking, Leatherhead, Woking